Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Chair drawings

Wood Chair no. 1, acrylic on paper, 2016

Wood Chair no. 2, acrylic on paper, 2016
Above are two very recent chair paintings that I did. I've been meaning to do this type of work for some time, but I don't feel that I achieved the desired effect that I was expecting to happen.

Whenever I think of a chair, I think of these drawings that I did many years ago when I was in my twenties. There were rather large drawings on 22" x 30" BFK Rives paper. The actual drawing wasn't as big as the paper.
For whatever reason, those drawings are stuck in my head because they were simple, but effective.
I did them for fun and not for anything else.
I did them for me and for no one else.

As one gets older, I've noticed that we forget the fun part and only concentrate on the "work" aspect of making art. It's a sad state of affairs when all that counts is technique and nothing more. I fight the urge to be too technical in my work because painting needs to be fun for me, otherwise why do it? It has to come out naturally and not be forced. It takes work to be good, but it also takes courage to let go.











No comments:

Post a Comment