Friday, June 12, 2015

Historical paintings re-imagined

Below are two paintings that I recently re-vamped. They were both originally painted onto round canvases, but they weren't selling. I think people have a problem getting their head around the "round canvas" idea. I don't think people know what to do with them. So, I cut out the faces and marouflaged them onto regular rectangular wood panels. Not sure if this will do the trick. But I like the idea of taking something awkward and making it normal and simple.


Myrtle c.1920,
acrylic on canvas marouflaged onto 5" x 7" cradled wood panel,  2013
(original was done on a 10" round canvas).



The circus came to town and Helen was excited because she would be the star attraction,
acrylic on canvas marouflaged onto 7" x 9" cradled wood panel,  2013
(original was done on a 12" round canvas)


I sound like a broken record, but moving into a new apartment has been the main focus of my time and energy since the end of March when we made the impromptu decision to look for a new place.

Life in our old apartment was no longer fun. It was a challenge to enjoy the space and not be stressed about the ramifications of downstair neighbours that smoked from morning to night non-stop. Our entire apartment smelled like cigarettes everywhere (closets, bedrooms, even the laundry room).
To make things worse, these people were semi-retired and never left their house...well maybe to go out and buy more cigarettes.
Our kids were worried about their health. I was worried about the safety of my family. Especially with chain-smokers and the possibility of a fire.

Anyway, this post is not about the crummy and trying times at our old space, but rather I want to focus on the ramifications and the so-called ripple effects that have occurred because of our moving into a new and smaller space.
The best way to describe it is that it's been a "process".
Having to make so many decisions about all our "stuff".
What's important?
What's not essential?
What can one live without?
What does one cherish?
What's really sentimental?
What's just things taking up space for no reason other than that you paid for it and you own it?

All this to say that my art studio was not immune to the move. For lack of time and trying to prepare for upcoming art fairs, I still have many decisions to make about what I should keep and what needs to go.
Already, many older paintings have gone into the trash bin and it felt good to do so in an odd sort of way.
Other paintings were cut off their frames and stored into a portfolio, only because they weren't bad, just taking up room and I just didn't want to look at them all the time anymore.

Now I'm at that stage where I've got to decide which paintings get hung up in the new apartment and which ones go to the upcoming MTL EN ARTS art fair at the beginning of July here in Montreal.

Again with the decisions. My head hurts.











No comments:

Post a Comment