Tuesday, May 7, 2013

The last of the bunch


These five sculptures have been sitting in my studio since the winter. Yesterday afternoon, I finally got the urge to finish painting them. I think these will be the last batch of sculptures that I'll make for now. The response to them has always been either neutral (no reaction whatsoever) or very positive (I've had several clients buy quite a few sculpture busts as a collection).
These clay pieces present quite a conundrum for me because they are small in size and many people think they are fast and easy to make and therefore the prices should reflect the size of the piece and not the work and time that goes into making them.
For myself, I know that I'll make more some day maybe, but for now I need to stop and put my time and energy into my painting. I have too many ideas floating around in my head and I need to put them onto canvas and push my work to the next level. If I continue to jump back and forth between painting and making clay sculptures, my creative process just can't flow as easily and progress. Let's see what happens in the next little while.
















No comments:

Post a Comment