Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Casein Painting (part 2)

Raspberry Cheesecake, casein on gessobord, 5" x 7", 2013
Here is another example of work that I did with casein paint. This time, I worked on a small ampersand gessobord panel, which has a very smooth finish. I had began another painting before this one, but was not satisfied with the results, so I took a damp paper towel and wiped off all the casein paint and let the panel dry overnight. I thought that was a pretty cool thing to do considering that you can't do that with any other paint medium, including acrylic (it dries too fast and would be impossible to take off after an hour or two).
So anyway, I did this painting of a raspberry cheesecake and used a palette knife quite a bit. The casein can be layered, but only to a certain extent. It may look dry on the surface once applied, but when you put water or other paint on it, you realize that it is still very wet and much like oil paint. So be careful not to apply too many colours or you'll end up with a muddy mess on your canvas.







No comments:

Post a Comment