Thursday, January 3, 2013

Oil versus Acrylic

STILL LIFE (green plant in terracotta pot), oil on canvas, 6" x 6", 2012
available in my ETSY shop

So, I spent last year going back and forth between acrylic and oil paint. I did more acrylic paintings than oil paintings for the same reason that I chose acrylic when I was in university some 25 years ago. Acrylic paint dries faster and I could bring my work home with me at the end of class instead of leaving my paintings in school. When I was in university, I heard stories about how some students would paint over another person's canvas instead of having to buy one. Not cool, but I wasn't surprised.
Anyway, I think 2013 will be more an oil painting kind of year. Funny thing is that most people think my acrylic paints are done in oil. Same kind of blending of colours and I'm not into using bright colours. Purple and orange are not part of my repertoire. Neither is neon pink or neon yellow. My kids say I wear too much black.












No comments:

Post a Comment